Council cleans up town centre, offers free parking and places new signage to welcome back shoppers
A recovery plan designed to support businesses to re-open and welcome shoppers back to Barrow has been launched.
Barrow Borough Council has worked alongside Barrow BID, Barrow Chamber of Commerce, Cumbria County Council and local businesses on measures to make people feel as safe as possible once the town’s high street re-opens from Monday, June 15.
Many important preparations are being made to support businesses but also to ensure the important message about maintaining social distancing is in place for when the town rolls out the welcome mat to the public.
Leader of Barrow Borough Council Cllr Ann Thomson said: “We can’t wait to welcome back our shoppers with open arms on June 15. The recovery scheme is being put in place to ensure that we are doing all we can to make sure our town is ready and safe.
“We are working closely with local businesses to find and identify solutions that will work for them in the long term as well as making sure the public’s safety is at the heart of it all.”
The Town Centre Recovery Strategy aims to identify short, medium and long-term objectives for improving the town centre experience. This is aimed not only at businesses in retail and hospitality but also for shoppers and visitors.
People going into the town centre from Monday will see:
- New signage and social distancing floor stickers placed throughout the town including at bus shelters and on public benches
- New signage at pinch points, such as along the access to Portland Walk, urging people to keep a safe distance from others
- The top two levels of Portland Walk Car Park will be re-opened to allow access to Debenhams
- Free parking at all Barrow Borough Council car parks
- The reopening of Barrow Market with new measures in place to ensure social distancing for customers and traders
- New heritage-style window graphics will also be used to welcome people to the town centre while also highlighting social distancing measures as part of a joint project between Barrow BID and Barrow Borough Council
Barrow Borough Council’s street cleaning team are also undertaking a thorough cleanse of the town centre with a stringent ongoing regime in place for the foreseeable future.
Parking in council operated car parks will remain free until July 6 in a further boost to traders and shoppers. From July 6 onwards, parking will be free after 3pm daily.
Cllr Thomson added: “Many businesses have suffered during lockdown and we all have a part to play to make sure they can get back on their feet.
“As a community we need to show our support and commitment to helping our local shops while remembering to keep a safe distance from other people at all times.”
And information, guidance and advice for businesses is available on the authority’s website; barrowbc.gov.uk